Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sing Up Some Joy

When is the last time you sang? At church? Washing dishes? In the car? Has it been years? I used to sing all these places and now I rarely do. I got busy, and I just got out of the habit. Maybe people didn’t want to hear me. I think I’ll have to change that. When we were kids we always sang in the car. We sang hymns with my grandmother. I sang lullabies to my dolls. There isn’t enough singing, I’m thinking. Go ahead, sing.
I used to sing with my brother. He has a strong tenor voice and we sang in harmony. Then parkinsons took hold of his vocal chords and it's hard to understand him - unless he sings. There is his voice, strong and clear with every note. You know what else? Our new grandbaby loves music. It quiets her. I sang her every one of those lullabies I know. And one day, I overheard her six year old brother singing her a lullaby that my mother used to sing to me. There’s the best reason. Sing out your sorrow, sing to your babies, sing up some joy. Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment