Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Lunar New Year - 4711

It's Chinese New Year - a celebration of thanks, good wishes, and new beginnings that lasts two more weeks. There are banquets, fire crackers, visits to friends and relations. Gifts of red envelopes with token cash inside wish the recipient prosperity. Eat long life noodles and oranges (gold) and you'll literally injest your new year's wishes.

I am not Chinese, but I've written books on Chinese culture. I've studied a little Mandarin. I love the sweeping brush strokes of Chinese characters. When I've helped my publisher sell books on Asia, I'm always surprised that browsers at the booth, often teachers, say things like "I'm not Chinese. I wouldn't be interested." Or, "I have a lot of Filipino students, I'll buy this book on the Philippines." Aren't we all enriched by each other's traditions? Don't we understand each other better after we go to a New Year's banquet or walk through a Daoist temple?

I am forever grateful to my parents for taking me to San Francisco's Chinatown as a child. I don't remember a world without red envelopes. They didn't embrace Chinese culture or even Chinese food but they showed me the places where I could do that. They were open to all kinds of ideas and people. They didn't believe that "our way" was the only way. They debated ideas and encouraged us to read.

Do you try out new ideas in your home? Do you serve up new tastes along with respect and information? Do you invite all kinds of people into your living room - and then listen to them. This is my wish for you for the new year (4711 by the way). That in this year of the snake you are clever and careful and your good luck springs from being open to many people and new ideas. Create a family that accepts people, tries new ideas, and allows for creativity and you'll have many good years to come. gōng xǐ fā cái

No comments:

Post a Comment